The Kentucky Wildcats kick off their 2022-2023 football season on Sat., Sept. 3 against Miami University. The game starts at 7 p.m. and will be televised on SEC+.
Since this is the first game of the Wildcats’ highly anticipated season, we’re listing off a few key storylines + players for you to be on the lookout for.
By the numbers
- No. 20 | That’s the AP Top 25 ranking the Wildcats received going into the start of the season — the highest ranking in program history.
- 59 | That’s how many career wins head coach Mark Stoops has as the head coach of the Wildcats. Once he wins 61 games, he’ll be the winningest football coach in UK history.
- 2nd | According to Preseason SEC Media Days, that’s where UK is predicted to finish the season in their division, the SEC East — right behind defending national champion Georgia.
- Will Levis | QB | Senior | Will is returning this year after leading the Wildcats to the Citrus Bowl in 2021. He received lofty praise after last year’s success + is a potential top 10 overall selection for the 2023 NFL Draft.
- Dane Key | WR | Freshman | This Lexington native will be looking to make his hometown proud. In 2021, he played at Frederick Douglas High School + was one of the top prospects in the state.
- DeAndre Square | LB| Senior | DeAndrew is on the watch list for the Butkus Award, given to the nation’s top linebacker. You might remember him from his game-winning interception in last year’s Citrus Bowl game.
- The Big Blue Wall | This is the nickname given to the Wildcats’ offensive line. Last season was the fourth year in a row that the Wildcats were named finalists for the Joe Moore Award, recognizing the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit in college football.