In just a few short days will be one of the biggest holidays in Mexican culture — Cinco de Mayo.
The holiday honors Mexico’s victory over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The Second Franco-Mexican War didn’t end that day, but the battle became a symbol of resistance against foreign powers.
If you’re celebrating this Friday, here’s where to eat, drink, and dance in LEX —
- 5 de Mayo, La Taquiza (both locations), Free | 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Cinco de Mayo Celebration, Pivot Brewing | Free | 4-10 p.m.
- Cinco de Mayo Latin Dance Party, El Cid | Free | 6-10 p.m.
- Cinco de Mayo Fest, Creaux | Free | 7-10 p.m.
- Hi 5 Cinco De Mayo and Derby Eve Celebration, Backstretch Sports Bar | Free | 8-11 p.m.
- Cinco de Mayo Latin Dance After Party, Banchetto 972 | $10-$15 |10:30 p.m-2 a.m.