Nonprofit Capital Project Grants provides organizations with more funding

For the second year, the grant project will provide local nonprofits with funding to support the advancement of their goals.

An aerial shot of downtown Lexington.

The grants will help 17 programs across 12 different nonprofits. | Photo courtesy of @femibranded

Thanks to local tax revenue, Lexington’s Nonprofit Capital Project Grants will award grants to local nonprofits for the second year in a row.

Pending approval from the Urban County Council, the $479,300 grant will be split across 12 agencies including:

  • Carnegie Center for Literacy & Learning
  • Central Music Academy
  • FoodChain
  • Gleanings Housing
  • Goodwill
  • Lexington Hearing & Speech Center
  • Lexington Housing for the Handicapped
  • Living Arts & Science Center
  • Mission Lexington
  • New Life Day Center
  • Shepherd’s House
  • YMCA

Around 73% of the grants will go towards facility improvements, while the remaining 27% will support operational investments. Each grant will range between $22,885 to $55,000.
“Nonprofits provide important services in our community. Although we have traditionally provided support for these agencies, it is usually for operating expenses,” Mayor Gorton said in a press release. “Nonprofits often find that grants they qualify for cannot be used for capital expenses.”

Organizations were chosen based on their needs, impact on low-income + marginalized residents, and cost analysis.