Table of Contents
Ever since the Keeneland Fall Meet ended, I’ve been thinking about burgoo. It seems this staple dish of the Commonwealth can be as fleeting as the fall foliage.
So, I went on a mission to sample some burgoo from two local spots: Dad’s Favorites Deli + Stella’s Kentucky Deli.
Dad’s Favorites Deli
- Details: Dad’s serves its burgoo seasonally, just like Keeneland. So it wasn’t on the menu when I went.
- However: I found out that its étouffée is actually award-winning and delicious.
- What to expect: The menu changes daily here — come with an open mind and an empty belly.
The hunt continues...
Stella’s Kentucky Deli
- Details: Burgoo is always on the menu at Stella’s + it’s made with locally sourced meat from neighboring farms.
- What to expect: The stew includes beef, chicken, and pork — as well as a base of chicken stock + bacon grease, not your typical tomato-based burgoo.
- Pair with: Something lighter — I suggest the Apple and Kentucky Bleu Cheese Sandwich.