‘Tis the season to be jolly, and there’s a lot to be excited about this December. The month is filled with ho-ho-holiday merriment, local markets for shopping, and live shows that will bring a sparkle to anyone’s eyes. Today we reveal our December Plan Ahead + highlight a few events that have us as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.
Mon., Nov. 29-Sun., Dec. 5
Monday, Nov. 29
- UK vs. Central Michigan University | Mon., Nov. 29 | 7 p.m. | Rupp Arena | Prices vary | UK men’s basketball take on the Action Cs at home. 🏀
- Christmas Tree Skirt Making | Mon., Nov. 29 | 5:30-8:30 p.m. | Sew-A-Lot Lexington | $45 | Learn how to make a holiday-themed tree skirt with the Six Halves Make a Whole pattern
Tuesday, Nov. 30
- Southern Lights | Tues., Nov. 30 | 5:30 p.m. | Kentucky Horse Park | $25 | A Lexington tradition — load up the car for a drive through miles of twinkly + bright lights
Wednesday, Dec. 1
- UK vs. West Virginia | Wed., Dec. 1 | 7 p.m. | Memorial Coliseum | $10+ | UK women’s basketball takes on West Virginia at home
- Nativity Scene Painting | Wed., Dec. 1 | 6:30-8:30 p.m. | Painting with a Twist | $38+ | Get into the holiday spirit with a sip and paint a nativity scene — materials included.
- Pine Ridge Tabletop | Wed., Dec. 1 | 5:30-8:30 p.m. | Sew-A-Lot Lexington | $45+ | Create your own Scandinavian-inspired table runner — or make one to gift to someone else.
- Art Museum Tours | Wed., Dec. 1 | 10 a.m. | UK Art Museum | Free | Choose from a variety of tour options for a free walk through the UK Art Museum
- Mustard Seed Hill Christmas Lights | Wed., Dec. 1-Sun., Dec. 5 | Times vary | Mustard Seed Hill, Millersburg | $5+ | Enjoy festive lights, a gingerbread house exhibit, artisan market + hot chocolate
Thursday, Dec. 2
- Comedy Night! | Thurs., Dec. 2 | 7 p.m. | Old North Bar | The fan-favorite pub at Greyline Station is hosting professional and aspiring comedians for a night of laughs.
- Kids’ Bake Club | Thurs., Dec. 2 | Thurs., Dec. 2 | 5 p.m. | Online | $29.95 | Purchase the cookie cutter set from our local Williams Sonoma + hop on Zoom for a virtual cookie party.
- Garland Making Class | Thurs., Dec. 2 | 6 p.m. | Omar & Elsie | $75 | Make your own ornament garland while snacking on savory treats — supplies included in ticket price.
- Redistricting Bingo | Thurs., Dec. 2 | 6:30 p.m. | The Cat’s Den | Registration required | Learn about redistricting in Lexington in a fun way.
Friday, Dec. 3
- Lexington Mercantile Holiday Market | Fri., Dec. 3-Sat., Dec. 4 | Times vary | Manchester Music Hall | Free | Get a jump start on your holiday shopping from dozens of local small businesses
- Magnolia Boulevard | Fri., Dec. 3 | 8 p.m. | The Burl | $16 | Mixing soulful vocals with alternative folk —the Lexington locals are playing a hometown show.
- CKS Holiday Sip & Shop | Fri., Dec. 3-Sat., Dec. 4 | Times vary | Christ the King, 412 Cochran Rd. | $5 | Sip some drinks while shopping local vendors including M&H Beads, Failte, Ada & Lo.
- Shaker Village Candlelight Tour | Fri., Dec. 3 | Times vary | Shaker Village | $10 | Discover the history of Christmas celebrations in Shaker communities with this candlelight tour.
Saturday, Dec. 4
- Mojothunder | Sat., Dec. 4 | 8 p.m. | The Burl | $15 | The band will be performing Lynard Skynard cover songs all night long.
- Lexington Christmas Parade | Sat., Dec. 4 | 11 a.m. | Downtown | Free | The holiday parade will march down Main St. from Midland Ave. to Mill St.
- Tree Illumination Ceremony | Sat., Dec. 4 | ~5:30 p.m. | Ashland, Henry Clay Estate | Free | Purchase snacks from the Gingko Cafe while enjoying a presentation from the Kentuckians Chorus
- Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells | Sat., Dec. 4 | Times vary | Lexington Opera House | Prices vary | Fun for the whole family adapted from the popular book series by Barbara Park
- Girls on the Run 5k | Sat., Dec. 4 | 9 a.m. | Keeneland | Prices vary | A great, untimed race for beginners which also benefits Girls on the Run Central Kentucky.
- Children’s Tea Time with Mrs. Claus | Sat., Dec. 4 | 2 p.m. | Shaker Village | $22 | Children can enjoy afternoon tea + a story with Mrs. Claus.
- Shaker Village Candlelight Tour | Sat., Dec. 4 | Times vary | Shaker Village | $10 | Discover the history of Christmas celebrations in Shaker communities with this candlelight tour.
Sunday, Dec 5
- Brunch with Santa | Sun., Dec. 5 | 12 p.m. | The Kentucky Castle | Prices vary | Storytime + photos with Santa along with brunch in the Grand Ballroom
- Kentucky Author Open House | Sun., Dec. 5 | 3 p.m. | Apollo Pizza, Meadowthorpe | Free | Meet and greet with a variety of Kentucky authors at this book signing event.
- Greg Austin Tribute Show | Sun., Dec. 5 | 5 p.m. | Austin City Saloon | Listen to dozens of artists pay tribute to Austin City Saloon Hall of Famer Greg Austin.
- A Festival of Nine Lessons + Carols | Sun., Dec. 5 | 6 p.m. | First United Methodist Church, 200 W. High St. | Free | An orchestral performance by Chancel Choir.
- UK vs. Merrimack College | Sun., Dec. 5 | 2 p.m. | Memorial Coliseum | $10+ | UK women’s basketball takes on Merrimack College at home.
Mon., Dec. 6-Sun., Dec. 12
Monday, Dec. 6
- Winter Concert | Mon., Dec. 6 | 7 p.m. | Singletary Center for the Arts | $7+ | A winter choral concert featuring some of the best talents from local high schools.
Tuesday, Dec. 7
- Holiday Wreath Workshop | Tues., Dec. 7 | 6-8 p.m. | The Kentucky Castle | $70 | Sip some mulled wine while creating your own live greenery wreath.
- UK vs. Southern University | Tues., Dec. 7 | 7 p.m. | Rupp Arena | Prices vary | UK men’s basketball take on Southern University at home. 🏀
- Coach Mitchell’s Christmas in Kentucky | Tues., Dec. 7 | 7 p.m. | Lexington Opera House | The former women’s basketball coach is spreading cheer with a holiday-themed concert.
- Downtown Spirit | Tues., Dec. 7 | 4:30-6:30 p.m. | Barney Miller’s, 232 E. Main St. | Registration required | A networking series that allows business professionals to connect with like-minded individuals
Wednesday, Dec. 8
- Acoustic Jam 2021 | Acoustic Jam 2021 | Wed., Dec. 8 | 7:30-10:30 p.m. | Lexington Opera House | 98.1 The Bull brings to town artists such as Scotty McCreary, Ryan Hurd, Callista Clark, and more.
- Joy of Breathing | Wed., Dec. 8 | 1-1:30 p.m. | Online | Free | Learn various techniques to experience the powerful benefits of breathwork.
- 5 Across Finals | Wed., Dec. 8 | 5-7 p.m. | Lyric Theatre | $5 | Lexington’s version of Shark Tank — listen to five local startups make their pitch to the crowd.
- Mustard Seed Hill Christmas Lights | Wed., Dec. 8-Sun., Dec. 12 | Times vary | Mustard Seed Hill, Millersburg | $5+ | Enjoy festive lights, a gingerbread house exhibit, artisan market + hot chocolate
Thursday, Dec. 9
- UK vs. Depaul University | Thurs., Dec. 9 | 7 p.m. | Rupp Arena | $10+ | UK women’s basketball takes on Depaul University at home.
- Sierra Ferrell | Thurs., Dec. 9 | 8 p.m. | The Burl | $12 | The West Virginia native brings her spellbinding voice to Lexington.
- Candlelight Tour | Thurs., Dec. 9 | Times vary | Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate | Prices vary | A festive Candlelight tour with the landmark all dressed up for the holidays.
- Comedian Michael Yo | Thurs., Dec. 9-Sat., Dec. 11 | Times vary | Comedy off Broadway | Prices vary | Laugh it up with the two-time Emmy nominee + Joe Rogan Experience podcast regular Michael Yo.
Friday, Dec. 10
- Jason Boland & The Stragglers | Fri., Dec. 10 | 8 p.m | The Burl | $20 | Classic country sounds from this Texas-based group.
- Waveland Dinner with Scrooge | Fri., Dec. 10 | 6-8 p.m. | Waveland State Historic Site | $50 | Traditional dinner will be served while you experience the magic of the holidays with Scrooge + other Christmas Carol characters.
Saturday, Dec. 11
- The Drunken Flea | Sat., Dec. 11 | 12-8 p.m. | Central Bank Center | $2 | Shop 50+ curated vintage vendors featuring clothing, furniture + decor from the ‘50s-’90s
- Wildside Christmas Market | Sat., Dec. 11-Sun., Dec. 12 | Times vary | Wildside Winery | $10 | A bottle of wine is included with your ticket to shop handcrafted items, food vendors, and live music.
- UK vs. Notre Dame | Sat., Dec. 11 | 5:15 p.m. | ESPN | UK men’s basketball take on Notre Dame on the road. 🏀
- The Nutcracker | Sat. Dec. 11-Sun., Dec. 19 | Times vary | Lexington Opera House | Prices vary | The Kentucky Ballet Theatre presents a holiday classic.
- Candlelight Tour | Sat., Dec. 11 | Times vary | Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate | Prices vary | A festive Candlelight tour with the landmark all dressed up for the holidays
- Bear-y Christmas Storytime | Sat., Dec. 11 | 10:30 a.m. | Greyline Station | Free | Kids can listen to a Christmas story and partake in a holiday activity afterward.
- Children’s Tea Time with Mrs. Claus | Sat., Dec. 11 | 2 p.m. | Shaker Village | $22 | Children can enjoy afternoon tea + a story with Mrs. Claus.
- Arts Bazaar | Sat., Dec. 11 | 12-4 p.m. | Centered | Free | Shop the holiday art fair in the courtyard + silent auction benefiting The Nest
Sunday, Dec. 12
- UK vs. Louisville | Sun., Dec. 12 | 1 p.m. | ESPN | UK women’s basketball takes on Louisville at the KFC YUM! Center for the Jimmy V Classic.
- Katie Pruitt | Sun., Dec. 12 | 8 p.m. | The Burl | $12 | The Nashville transplant is bringing her folk-pop sound to Lexington.
- Santa Cares | Sun., Dec. 12 | 9:30-11 a.m. | Fayette Mall | Free, RSVP required | A sensory-friendly photos with Santa experience for children + family members with all spectrums of special needs.
- 12 Divas of Christmas | Sun., Dec. 12 | 4 p.m. | The Lyric Theatre | $35 | A festive-filled fundraiser benefiting Moveable Feast with celebrity guests — Ernesto Scorsone, Andy Shea, and Griffin VanMeter.
Mon., Dec. 13-Sun., Dec. 19
Monday, Dec. 13
- How to Improve Your Memory | Mon., Dec. 13 | 2 p.m. | Virtual | Registration required | A class designed to provide tips + techniques on how to improve your memory.
- MADrigal Dinner Theatre | Mon., Dec. 13 | 7 p.m. | Goodwood Lexington | $44 | A three-course dinner + a show at a local brewery.
Tuesday, Dec. 14
- Southeast Christmas Party | Tues., Dec. 14 | 5:30 p.m. | Registration required | A holiday party sponsored by Associated Builders and Contractors.
- Snowman’s Best Friend | Tues., Dec. 14 | 6:30 p.m. | Pinot’s Palette, 3851 Mall Rd. STE. 510 | $27 | Have a drink with friends while painting a snowscape scene of a snowman and his friends.
- Christmas Cookies with Santa | Tues., Dec. 14 | 5-6:30 p.m. | The Kentucky Castle | $45 | Decorate Christmas cookies + get the opportunity to visit and snap photos with Santa
- Holiday Business Link | Tues., Dec. 14 | 4-6 p.m. | Central Bank Center | $10 | An after-hours networking event sponsored by Commerce Lexington inside Rupp Arena’s new VIP Club area
Wednesday, Dec. 15
- Mustard Seed Hill Christmas Lights | Wed., Dec. 15-Sun., Dec. 19 | Times vary | Mustard Seed Hill, Millersburg | $5+ | Enjoy festive lights, a gingerbread house exhibit, artisan market + hot chocolate
- Christmas Carol-oke | Wed., Dec. 15 | 9 p.m. | Tin Roof | Free | You know the words because you sing them every year — enjoy holiday karaoke.
Thursday, Dec. 16
- David Sedaris | Thurs., Dec. 16 | 7:30 p.m. | Lexington Opera House | $35+ | The NY Times #1 Best-selling author is live on stage — discussing middle age and mortality through satire + storytelling.
- Jon Reep | Thurs., Dec. 16 | 7:15 p.m. | Comedy Off Broadway | Enjoy a nationally touring comedian who won Last Comic Stranding.
- Barefoot + Bourbon | Thurs., Dec. 16 | 7 p.m. | Shamrocks Bar & Grille, 4750 Hartland Pkwy. | Price of purchase | Enjoy live music and cold drinks at a classic Lexington pub.
Friday, Dec. 17
- UK vs. Morgan State University | Fri., Dec. 17 | 7 p.m. | Memorial Coliseum | $10+ | UK women’s basketball takes on Morgan State at home.
- The Bob & Tom Show Comedy Tour | Fri., Dec. 17 | 7:30 p.m. | Lexington Opera House | Prices vary | You’ve heard them on the radio, but now see them live on stage.
- Holiday Sip + Shop | Fri., Dec. 17 | 9 a.m.-7 p.m. | Bluegrass Distillers, 501 W. 6th St. STE 165 | Free | A holiday shopping event featuring $5 tastings and cocktails, bourbon-themed merchandise + gift baskets.
- J Roddy Walston Christmas Tour | Fri., Dec. 17 | 8 p.m. | The Burl | $20 | J Roddy is putting a holiday spin on his classic-sounding southern rock for his 2021 “Christmas to the Bone” show.
- Friday Flurries | Fri., Dec. 17 | 5 p.m.-8 p.m. | The Summit at Fritz Farm | Free | The green space turns into a winter wonderland with faux snow perfect set-up
- Brew & Groove | Fri., Dec. 17 | 7 p.m. | Blue Stallion Brewing | Free | Sip some brews and get your groove on with free Salsa + Caribbean dance lessons provided by The Salsa Center
Saturday, Dec. 18
- UK vs. Ohio St. | Sat., Dec. 18 | 5:15 p.m. | Las Vegas | Not heading to Vegas? Watch on ESPN as the Cats take on Ohio State in the CBS Sports Classic 🏀
- Tarot Workshop | Sat., Dec. 18 | 6:30 p.m. | Creatures of Whim, 126 N. Broadway | Registration required | Learn about tarot in this beginner-friendly workshop
- Last Call Art Market | Sat., Dec. 18 | 12-6 p.m. | West Sixth Brewery | Free | Shop handmade + locally crafted works from just in time for the holidays.
- Winter Solstice Celebration | Sat., Dec. 18 | 10 a.m.-1 p.m. | Living Arts & Science Center | Free | Fun-filled art workshops, hands-on activities, science exhibits, and more.
- Dino & Dragon Stroll | Sat., Dec. 18-Sun., Dec. 19 | Times vary | Central Bank Center | $17.99 | Bring the dinosaur fanatics in your family to get up close and personal with life-size, animatronic dinosaurs + dragons
Sunday, Dec. 19
- UK vs. University of South Carolina-Upstate | Sun., Dec. 19 | 2 p.m. | Memorial Coliseum | $10+ | UK women’s basketball takes on USC-upstate at home.
- Winter Solstice Yoga | Sun., Dec. 19 | 12-1 p.m. | Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate | Free | Celebrate the Winter Solstice with yoga flows + intention setting for the new year.
- Christmas Drag Brunch | Sun., Dec. 19 | 11:30 a.m. | Tin Roof | $10 | The last drag brunch of the year featuring the Imperial Court of Kentucky
Mon., Dec. 20-Sun., Dec. 26
Monday, Dec. 20
- Season of Light | Mon., Dec. 20- Thurs., Dec. 23 | 2 p.m. | Living Arts & Science Center | $5 | Experience the night sky in Lexington’s only public planetarium
- Wine + Appetizer Pairing | Mon., Dec. 20 | 6-8 p.m. | The Kentucky Castle | $80 | A curated four-course wine + appetizer pairing featuring the Unshackled by The Prisoner Wine Company
- Beer + Board Games | Mon., Dec. 20 | 7-9 p.m. | West Sixth Brewery | Free | Hosted by the Boardgame enthusiasts of Lexington play classics such as Apples to Apples, Unspeakable Words, Guillotine, and Acquire.
Tuesday, Dec. 21
- A Very Merry MADrigal: Theatre Dinner | Tues., Dec. 21 | 7 p.m. | Sedona Taphouse, 3600 Palomar Centre Drive | $46 | Adventure Theater and a three-course dinner
Wednesday, Dec. 22
- Wednesday Whiteout | Wed., Dec. 22 | 5 p.m.-8 p.m. | The Summit at Fritz Farm | Free | The green space turns into a winter wonderland with faux snow perfect set-up
- Live Team Trivia | Wed., Dec. 22 | 7 p.m. | Old North Bar | Price of purchase | Take a break this holiday week for some friendly trivia competition
- Holiday Movie Trivia | Wed., Dec. 22 | 7 p.m. | The Burl Arcade | Price of purchase | Test your holiday movie knowledge while enjoying adult beverages + pinball.
Thursday, Dec. 23
- Sound Off Music Trivia | Thurs., Dec. 23 | 7 p.m. | Ethereal Brewing | Free | Test your music knowledge in this fast-paced fun night of trivia featuring three separate games covering different genres.
- It’s a Wonderful Life | Thurs., Dec. 23 | 7:30 p.m. | The Kentucky Theatre | $7.75 | The historic theater is back open for Christmas week showing some holiday classics
Friday, Dec. 24
- Christmas Eve | Fri., Dec. 24 | Times vary | At your home or gathered with friends | Must be on the nice list to enter | Gather to tell stories + celebrate the year.
- Candlelight Service | Fri., Dec. 24 | 5 p.m. | Broadway Baptist Church, 2500 Harrodsburg Rd. | Free | Learn about the story of Christmas and enjoy carols by candlelight.
Saturday, Dec. 25
- Merry Christmas
Sunday, Dec. 26
- Kwanza Celebration | Sun. Dec. 26 | 2:30 p.m. | The Lyric Theatre | Free | Celebrate Kwanza with a free film screening of “The Black Candle” followed by a Q+A with the creator of the film.
Mon., Dec. 27-Sun., Jan. 2
Monday, Dec. 27
- No School Day Classes | Mon., Dec. 27- Thurs., Dec. 30 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m. | The Living Arts & Science Center | Students from preschool to high school can enjoy fun, creative classes while Fayette County Public Schools are on winter break.
- Earth’s Wild Ride | Mon., Dec. 27-Thurs., Dec. 30 | 2 p.m. | Living Arts & Science Center | $5 | Experience the night sky in Lexington’s only public planetarium
Tuesday, Dec. 28
- Year Ahead Astrology Workshop | Tues., Dec. 28 | 5:30-8:30 p.m. | White Willow Emporium, 400 Old Vine St. | $45 | An interactive workshop experience discussing how to work with specific upcoming astrological transits
Wednesday, Dec. 29
- UK vs. University of Missouri | Wed., Dec. 29 | 6 p.m. | Rupp Arena | Prices vary | UK men’s basketball takes on the University of Missouri at home. 🏀
Thursday, Dec. 30
Friday, Dec. 31
- UK vs. High Point University | Fri., Dec. 31 | 12 p.m. | Rupp Arena | Prices vary | UK men’s basketball takes on High Point University at home. 🏀
- New Year’s Eve Gala | Fri., Dec. 31 | 7 p.m. | The Kentucky Castle | $275 | Dine, toast, and dance the night away to the sweet sounds of the Jordan English Band.
- New Year’s Eve Party | Fri., Dec. 31 | 8 p.m. | The Grove | Prices start at $200 | Reserve tables for 2-10 people + receive at least one bottle of wine, one bottle of sparkling wine, one charcuterie board from Fable, and an Uber gift card.
- Hide and Seek: A 21c New Year’s Bash | Fri., Dec. 31 | 21c Hotel | $125 | Experience the museum hotel in a whole new way with dancing, an open bar, light bites, and a champagne toast.
- Midnight Masquerade Bash | Fri., Dec. 31 | 7 p.m. | Pour Decisions | Prices vary | Sip your complimentary bottle of bubbly while mingling + dancing with snacks from Skip the Fork.
- Rock House Silent Disco | Fri., Dec. 31 | 9 p.m. | Rock House Brewing | $20 | Get your groove on with tunes from two different DJs + three channels with this fun and funky event from Louisville Silent Disco.