Table of Contents
The 2022 Keeneland Fall Meet begins tomorrow, Fri., Oct. 7, which means all eyes will be on the historic racetrack for the next few weeks.
Let’s take a look at this Fall Meet + Keeneland by the numbers —
17. That’s how many days of racing will take place in October. Races are run Wednesday-Sunday.
161. That’s how many races will be run this month.
$1,000,000. That’s the largest purse for the meet + how much the winner of the Grade I Coolmore Turf Mile race will receive. The race is for three-year-olds and the winner will also get an automatic spot in this year’s $2-million Breeders’ Cup Mile race.
Historical fun facts
- October 15, 1936, was the first day of the inaugural race meet at Keeneland featuring seven races worth a total of $7,380. My, oh my, times have changed. Tomorrow’s card features 10 races totaling $1,913,000.
- $20,926,640. That’s the current record for single-day wagering at a Fall Meet. It was set on Sat. Oct. 9, 2021, on the running of the Keeneland Turf Mile.
- 40,617. That’s the highest single-day attendance at Keeneland — taking place on Sat., April 14, 2012, on the Toyota Bluegrass Stakes Day.
- $308,872. That is the record pay-out price for a 50-cent Pick 5 (the ticket only cost $2.50), set on Oct. 10, 2019.
Pro tip: Learn how you can win big with Keeneland’s Handicapping Tips and Tools + Betting Basics.