Lexington Parks & Recreation released its largest summer concert schedule ever, bringing us a musical + fun-filled summer, all for free. This news had us thinking — where else can we enjoy the clear summer skies and listen to music outside? Well, allow us to introduce you to our outdoor live music guide.
Big Band & Jazz | Moondance Amphitheater, 1152 Monarch St + Ecton Park, 956 Turkey Foot Rd.| Every Tuesday, 7-8:30 p.m. from May 17-August 9
- This is one of Lexington’s longest-running weekly concert series, going strong for 40+ years. The series will debut at Moondance + head to Ecton Park starting July 5.
Southland Jamboree | Moondance Amphitheater, 1152 Monarch St. | Every Thursday, 7 p.m. from June 2-September 1
- Bring your own instrument for a post-concert jam session with the bluegrass jam bands. Bonus: Well-behaved dogs are allowed to attend.
Thursday Night Live | Downtown, Fifth Third Bank Pavilion | Every Thursday, 5-8 p.m. until Thurs., Oct. 13
- In the heart of downtown, this fan-favorite is the perfect post-work wind down with easy access to restaurants, food trucks, and beverage booths.
Northside Nights | Castlewood Park, 201 Castlewood Dr. | Every other Friday, 6:30 p.m. from May 27–September 2
- One of the newer series on the block, Northside Nights will help us kick off our weekends with funk, soul, and R&B music. Pro tip: Don’t forget to grab a blanket, some chairs + pack a picnic.
Summer Nights in Suburbia | Moondance Amphitheater, 1152 Monarch St. | Every other Friday, 7-9 p.m. from June 3–August 26
- The concert series runs the musical gamut bringing a surprise to each show featuring indie rock, blues, folk artists, and more. Gates open as early as 5:30 p.m.
Tahl Sound | Oleika Temple Great Lawn, 302 Southland Dr. | Fourth Sunday every month, 6 p.m. through Sun., Sept. 25
- This series aims to recognize + elevate local talent by bringing to its stage the neighborhood’s musical acts.
The Burl | 375 Thompson Rd. | Shows dates + times vary, will continue as long as the weather allows
- This local venue hosts a variety of acts including folk, Americana, indie rock, and more. Pro tip: Stop by Kismet across the parking lot for some late-night snacks.
Springhouse Music Series | Castle & Key Distillery, 4445 McCracken Pk., Frankfort | First Wednesdays, 6 p.m. through September
- A night of live music with local food trucks + specialty cocktails on the lawn of the picturesque Castle & Key Distillery.
Legacy Nights | Legacy Grove Park, 1107 W. Lexington Ave. Winchester | Second Tuesdays, 6-9 p.m. from May 10-Oct., 11
- Venture out to Winchester to hear music from local + regional artists. Visitors can also peruse food trucks and family-friendly activities.
Holler in the Holler | HomeGrown HideAways, 500 Floyd Branch Rd., Berea | Third Tuesdays, 7-10 p.m. from May 17-Oct., 18
- Take an evening trip to Berea for the MusiciansMemorial Concert Series with proceeds donated to a scholarship fund at Lexington Music Education.
Music on the Lawn | Shaker Village, 3501 Lexington Rd., Harrodsburg | Every Friday + Saturday, 6:30-9:30 p.m. from May-October
- Sip specialty cocktails and snack on farm-fresh fare while listening to live music by the fire.