The 2023 Keeneland Fall Meet returns this Friday, Oct. 6, bringing world class thoroughbreds + thousands of visitors to the Horse Capital of the World.
Before we get into building our perfect local tailgate spread, let’s take a look at some quick picks as you plan your visit.
- If you haven’t already, get your tickets. Prices vary per day, ranging from $7 to $150.
- Remember: There’s no racing on Mondays or Tuesdays, but you can see take a Morning Works Tour or eat at The Track Kitchen. Watch what the pros told us to order.
Also, consider this your heads up to book any October dinner reservations ASAP.
The set up
First things first, know the dos + don’ts for tailgating at Keeneland. The Hill and The Meadow are the most spacious for hosting larger groups, but you can also snag a parking spot Paved Parking Rows.
Bonus: The Hill will host live music every Friday-Sunday, bringing in acts like Restless Leg String Band + Grayson Jenkins to add to the already immaculate vibes.
- Set the scene with equestrian accents from Syers Browning. Think: ice buckets, decorative napkins, and julep cups.
- Stirrup and snaffle servewear paired with horse and jockey placemats + tumblers from Pomegranate are a winning bet.
The sips + snacks
- You can’t go wrong with the wine, meat, and cheese selections from Jefferson Street staple Wine + Market. It even has already-crafted house platters you can take to-go.
- If you’re looking for something a little heavier, try your hand at one of the recipes from our tailgate snacks from local chefs piece. Or check out Feed + Supply’s Bake at Home options like Sheperd’s Pie and Macaroni and Cheese.
- Elevate your cocktail-making game with local mixes from Gents Original, or keep it simple with an ice cold Ale-8.
As always, bet and drink responsibly + remember to order your Ubers and Lyfts ahead of time.