Kids, this is the story of how I met your mother, and it was all thanks to LEXtoday.
Ok, so maybe that’s not exactly how the 2000s sitcom went, but if Ted Mosby had consulted us for date night ideas, we could’ve shaved the show down to two seasons (and saved his kids a lot of time). Regardless, whether you’ve met “the one” or are hoping to impress someone new, we’ve got 19 local date night ideas that are legen — wait for it — dary.
For the ones who want a night out on the town
- If your loved one is a fan of the arts, see what’s happening on stage at the Lexington Opera House or Singletary Center.
- Find out what makes them laugh by catching a show at Comedy Off Broadway. Feeling confident? Take them to an open mic night on the first Tuesday of the month to show off your skills.
- If music is more your thing, choose from one of our 12 live music venues depending on the vibe you’re looking for.
If the way to their heart is through their stomach
- Wow your special someone with a reservation at the picturesque and delicious Dudley’s on Short, or the creative menu + cozy vibe of Cole’s 735 Main.
- If food is just one part of your date night, start things off with a happy hour at Harvey’s, Carson’s, and 30 others.
- Cooking is a labor of love, so let Pasta Garage + La Bonne Vie help you and your partner level up your kitchen skills. Now, you can play with your food and eat it too.
If you love the great outdoors
- Heat things up in a different kind of kitchen. Whether you want to bond with a new shared hobby or meet fellow players — we’ll see you on pickleball court.
- You’ll be the eagle of your date’s eye when you show off your swing at Lexington’s links.
- The ultimate outdoor adventure awaits with a hike at the Red River Gorge + slice of pizza from Miguel’s. If you’re looking for a more lowkey option, you can’t go wrong with a quaint picnic in one of our parks.
For the ones who like to play games (just not with your heart)
- There’s nothing like a little friendly competition to strengthen your bond. Visit classic video game haven The Burl Arcade for all your old school faves. Pro tip: Pinball is free on Tuesdays + you can commemorate your date with a visit to the photo booth.
- Skip the electronics and opt for a low-key (or high stakes, you decide) board game session at Chaotic Good or Villainous.
- Test your aim — and theirs — at Battle Axes. But that’s not all this entertainment center also boasts bowling, high speed go karts, and ziplines so you can really show off your competitive spirit.
If you’re really hoping that it works out
- Take your love to new heights by braving the boulders at LEF Climbing Gym.
- Put on your dancing shoes and get ready for some salsa, swing, jazz, or hip hop with Arthur Murray Dance Studio or The Salsa Center.
- Create connection + practice mindfulness through a yoga class or a guided meditation at Shambhala Meditation Center.
If you want an “old fashioned”-style date
- The old school vibes from the Burgers and Shakes on New Circle will take you back in time. It’s easy on the wallet — burgers start at $1.23 — and brings back that nostalgic feeling with its walk-up window + classic flavored milkshakes.
- Two straws, one milkshake — name a sweeter situation. Get that, and many more shareable desserts at Freshie’s Ice Cream & Soda Fountain.
- Take leisurely stroll along South Ashland Avenue to soak in the historic homes, then wrap up the evening with a cozy drink at Charlie Brown’s or Chevy Chase Inn.
If you wanna show off by knowing all the hottest events in town
- Shameless plug: Sign up for our daily newsletter, where we call out our top picks of things to do around town. Your date doesn’t have to know we’re behind it, you can take all the credit.
- Stay up-to-date on the coolest local events around Lexington with our events page (and check out this guide for our tips on navigating the page).
What did we miss? If you know a perfect date spot that’s not on the list, guide us in the right direction using this survey.