Did you know that during the 2022-2023 school year...
- Twenty-two Fayette County Public School (FCPS) students earned a perfect score on the ACT? That’s three times higher than the national average.
- FCPS students made up 6.5% of Kentucky’s entire student enrollment and 25% of the state’s highest achievers?
- FCPS students earned $118+ million in scholarships + were accepted into 176 different colleges?
Those are some the facts we learned about our public school system yesterday when hundreds of community members + city leaders came together for The State of Schools Leadership Breakfast.
Superintendent Demetrus Liggins discussed the school district’s strategic plan, “A New Way Forward,” and touched on some highlights as they enter the new school year — which begins in exactly two weeks.
Portrait of a graduate
“The true measure of success is where that diploma takes you next,” Liggins said. “Several years ago, we asked families to share their hopes, dreams, and aspirations for their children. We also asked them to identify the attributes they consider necessary for life-long success. Based on that input, we developed the FCPS Portrait of a Graduate.”
The pillars behind this portrait, which guides FCPS in developing programs + offerings for students, includes:
- Academic preparedness
- Cultural competence
- Being equipped for the future
- College and career readiness
- Civic engagement
Other key areas of focus for the upcoming school year include:
- More mental health services
- Extra-curricular + co-curricular activities
- Advance placement + international baccalaureate classes
- Dual credit courses through BCTCS
- Employee well-being
The Fayette Education Foundation
The Fayette Education Foundation exists to further support the students, teachers, and school district. The nonprofit organization is made up of a volunteer board that works to support the mission and goals of FCPS. They work with leaders from the local community to remove barriers so all students can reach their full potential. Some of their initiatives include: