Hey, y’all — LEXtoday City Editor Molly here. My family has been vacationing in Duck, NC since my grandparents retired there in the late 1980s. And while it started off as a sleepy little beach town with small beach box houses, it has grown into a family vacation must-see.
- Duck is a water lover’s dream. Since it’s a part of a chain of islands off the coast of North Carolina — you have the ocean on one side + the sound of the city on the other.
- The town offers free family-friendly programming in peak summer months and has great shopping, restaurants + beach activities — think paddle boarding and jet skiing.
Act like a local:
- Food: Get delicious seafood dishes at The Blue Point, then take your bottle of wine to sip on the dock while watching the sunset. Looking for something more casual? Head up the boardwalk to Coastal Cantina.
- Drinks: Start your day with a walk to get a latte from Treehouse Coffee and end it with a refreshing Crafty G+T from The Roadside Bar Grille.
- Shop: The Waterfront Shops feature 27 businesses including book stores, boutiques, restaurants + a yoga studio. Continue along the 0.75-mile Town Boardwalk for beautiful maritime forest + marsh views.
- Explore: Head north to Corolla to see wild horses or climb the historic Currituck Beach Lighthouse. Duck is just a ~20-minute drive from some fun + historical sites — like The Wright Brothers’ Memorial and Jockey’s Ridge State Park.