Mayor Linda Gorton released the city’s 2023-2024 budget yesterday, revealing a “robust” $505 million general fund.
Mayor Gorton met with each city council member to discuss the needs and wants of their respective districts. In the coming weeks, city council members will meet to discuss + propose changes before a final vote comes in May or June.
Here’s a breakdown of some highlights —
- $6 million for parks and public spaces
- $6 million to study a plan for a new city hall, either through new construction or renovating the existing space
- $4.3 million to fund grants for social service organizations and nonprofits that serve citizens in need
- $2 million for more affordable housing projects
- $750,000 for site development of a new joint training facility for police officers + firefighters
The budget also projects that the city will bring in $42 million in new revenue from items like job growth + increased wages.